With the final Bank Holiday of 2017 approaching, it’s our last opportunity to bask in an additional work-free day. Some see it as a chance to meticulously implement planned DIY updates, others use the extra time to showcase what meticulously planned DIY updates they’ve already implemented! We’re somewhere in the middle, loosely aiming to finish a few things and create an Instagrammable haven our guests are envious of! We all know Aperol time is precious especially during a long weekend, so here are 6 Bank Holiday home improvements you can start AND confidently finish with your extra day off…
- First on our hit list is to do the painting you’ve been putting off for weeks. Alright, we know we said these are things you can comfortably start and finish, but we’re not talking painting your entire house here… Painting is a quick and easy way to instantly change the feel of a room, whether it’s all four walls or just the one behind your bed (for example!). Scandinavian influences saw us rushing to white wash our walls but the trend is now very much leaning towards muted shades like grey and inky blue. See what paint options we’ve got here.
- Next up is making the spare room cosy for guests. If you’re entertaining this weekend, nothing shows great hosting skills like a superbly prepared guest bedroom. It’s the details that count, from cosy throws that’ll score you 10/10 for overall aesthetic, to room fragrance and hotel-style miniature toiletries.
- Following on from the importance of details, is it time to add the finishing touches your home lacks? A cutely positioned cactus or wall art cluster are things that’ll catch the attention of your guests. Is there a better feeling than when someone compliments your eye for ‘making things look good’? Nope! Scout out what might be lacking from your decor here.
Is there a better feeling than when someone compliments your eye for ‘making things look good’?
- Entertaining guests brings its fair share of pressures and it won’t go unnoticed if you’re serving up drinks in random vessels… Replace your mismatch glassware with a timeless but effortlessly chic style. Versatility is key here, unless you’re a serial glass-smasher, your cupboards should be home to a collection that transcends seasonal trends (except maybe Christmas of course!).
- A tidy home equals a tidy mind, so clear away excess knick-knacks and maximise the space you have available. The prospect of an additional day off spent with friends should be all the motivation you need to be extra brutal with throwing out things you no longer want or need. Take a trip to your local charity shop and feel satisfied knowing you only possess meaningful artefacts! Shop storage solutions here.
- Finally, although it’s not technically autumn – now’s the time to refresh your bedding for the new season. Having a clear distinction between seasons will focus your efforts to get cosy for winter (when the time comes), plus soft furnishings act like instant gratification when you’re in need of a quick style fix! Check out our bedding selection here.
Will you be tackling all 6 of these over the Bank Holiday? Or do you have bigger DIY plans? Let us know by tweeting us progress pics @nextofficial!